My Meandering Mind

A chronicle of the daily minutia that weaves together our daily lives

Thursday, June 16, 2005

Dumpster Diving at a Questionably Homosexual Man's Home

So, as you know, Trixie and I are moving.

Last evening, we cleaned out the ENORMOUS shed under our deck. As a result, a lot was dragged to the curb, including:

- A lawnmower
- Three lawnchairs
- A wrought iron table (sans the glass top)
- A 96 gallon trash can which contained, among other things, a plastic golf ball, at least eight inches in circumfrence, which contained a decanter

So, this morning, as usual, it's about 5:25 a.m., and I'm walking Baron.

A truck pulls alongside me and I feel it slow, then come to a stop. I'm maybe 100 yds from my house.

Scary Truck Man: Hey! That 'cho house on tha corner?

Me: Yes.

Scary Truck Man: That lawn mower work?

Me: Yes.


Sensing a pattern here?

Scary Truck Man: Oh. I got a frien' that works on 'em. Mind if I take it?

Me: Well, I did put it in the trash.

Scary Truck Man: Did you sell your house yet? I seen that "under contract" sign. My frien's lookin fo a house, I figgerd you's got a nice one. Is it for sale?

Me: We sold it in six hours.

Scary Truck Man: You movin' to one a them condos?

Me: No. I'm moving to a new home three times the size of this one.


I then continue on my walk, and it suddenly occurs to me.

"You movin' to one a them condos?"

Does he think I'm a single gay man? After all, I dress well and walk a manicured schnauzer every morning.

So, as I contemplate this throughout my fifteen minute walk, I make my way back to my street and notice the lawnmower is gone. Also, I notice another truck parked in front of my mailbox and a woman bent over looking in my trash can. I can see she's already liberated the lawnchairs, and she holds in her hand the "Golfing-The 19th Hole" decanter. She's visibly puzzled as she tries to open it, and at that point, I'm still reeling from the shock of someone rooting through my garbage.

I do my best to embarass her by saying "It's a decanter." To which a man in the truck queries "Wat's a dee canter?"

She shushes him by saying she'll tell him later and they make a hurried exit.

Then, dressed in my finest, me and my little dog make our way back into the house to prepare for another installment of the daily grind.

FORE!

2 Comments:

At 11:48 AM, Blogger SayUnderpants said...

Outstanding! People go junk-fishing in the burbs too! I thought it was mainly a city thing. Pickup trucks slowly drive through the alley behind our house at all hours looking for their next treasure. One of the best ones: A neighbor throws out an old, stained, and obviously broken baby car seat. 5 minutes later a truck pulls up. A woman gets out of the passenger side, she picks up the baby seat turning over in her hands. She shrugs her shoulders, nods her head, and throws the seat into the bed of the truck. They then drive away to continue the hunt for their next great treasure...

 
At 12:47 PM, Blogger Zanne said...

What have been a real kicker if you had some sort of empty beer packaging that was empty and the scary trucker asks "You got any more of them beers in the fridge?" :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home