My Meandering Mind

A chronicle of the daily minutia that weaves together our daily lives

Monday, March 27, 2006

Old Courthouse



I had a chance recently to take a private tour of my own city, St. Louis, with local radio personality and notable St. Louis historian, Charles Brennan.

This is a view of the columns of the Old Courthouse. This was the site of many historic events, including the famous Dred Scott case, where a slave sued for his freedom.

It was profoundly pointed out on the tour that while slaves were being sold on the steps of the Courthouse, they looked East, across the Mississippi River, less than a mile away, on whose opposite bank was the State of Illinois, a free state.

The other picture is of the dome of the Old Courthouse.

1 Comments:

At 9:09 AM, Blogger KC said...

I should tour the Old Courthouse again. I think it's been more than 20 years since I've been there. It's a great old building.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home