My Meandering Mind

A chronicle of the daily minutia that weaves together our daily lives

Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Just Don't Shit In My Sink...

So, the house is damn near done...except...we've got one last issue to correct.

The toilet is in the wrong place in our hall bathroom.

The Scenario
Just off the dining room, we have a powder room. You know, the bathroom everybody uses during parties, etc. It's simply appointed with a vanity, mirror, sink and toilet. We're not encouraging any type of lingering here.

So, my wife and I went out to the house last weekend (just as we have every weekend since November), to discover that when you open the door to the powder room, the door hits the toilet. You can get in there, it's just going to take some shimmying, and it's certainly not the place anyone with impending bowel doom wants to run to. You'd end up with gastric distress all over the white carpets...

Perplexed, we wonder if this was a problem in the display home.

I brighten the situation by explaining "it's just like when you go to the bathroom on an airplane...or on the boat". Trixie glowers at me and says "let's go look at the display".

We do.

The door doesn't hit the toilet.

That's because the door swings toward the vanity and not the toilet.

We laugh it off and inform the builder, who promises to fix it right away.

So, when my phone rang yesterday afternoon, and the builder was on the line, I was confused.

Apparently, the vanity and toilet are in the wrong places.

I'm picturing Bubba the plumber, fresh off one hell of a bender, confusing the place where you sit and shit with the place you cleanse and clean.

Great job fellas...

So, the proposed remedy is to put a rounded toilet (the other ones are elongated) in there.

The boys from the crew tell our project manager that they've measured, and that it swings with no problem.

The project manager wants my wife and I to stop by to verify that it's going to meet with our satisfaction, etc., so we drive out there.

We meet the project manager in the house, and she's pissed off.

Unless the crew used some kind of magic measuring device or new math, I can't see how they measured anything, as the toilet is sitting in the hall, in it's unopened, factory sealed box.

After the project manager calls the foreman and speaks to him as only sailors and construction men do, I lift the commode out of the box and place it where it's supposed to reside in the powder room.

I close the door and attempt to open it again.

BLAM!

Yeah, it hits the toilet.

Again, good work fellas...

So, they now have to rip out the plumbing, tear out the drywall (to replace the light fixture above the mirror) and remove and re - lay the wood flooring, as they switch the vanity and toilet.

Maybe if I would have told the plumber exactly where I wanted the box to shit in , (refer to previous post) they may have gotten this right the first time.

2 Comments:

At 8:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahh...I needed a good chuckle this morning! You really have to wonder about people sometimes, don't you?

 
At 5:27 AM, Blogger HemisphereDancer said...

My pleasure! Thanks for stopping by!

Yeah, I've pretty much learned to expect the least in people and be surprised when they exceed my expectations...

How's everything?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home