My Meandering Mind

A chronicle of the daily minutia that weaves together our daily lives

Monday, June 27, 2005

Ice Queen

So we all went to a friend's wedding this weekend. It was fun. For some of us.

The Back Story:

Phillipe is a friend from high school. Me, Jackson and Van were great pals with him through high school and into college.

We've gotten older and grown apart a bit, but still see each other maybe once a year. I was surprised to see we were all invited to the wedding.

The Wedding Story:

So, we get there and we're at Table 29. The photographer is at Table 30. We all make jokes about how offended we are, but Van is seriously pissed and leaves shortly after dinner.

The Ice Queen:

Remember a while back how I posted about this evil person that Trixie and I bumped into at Home Depot? You know, the wife of a good friend and the reason that good friend and I don't speak any more? Well, she was there, at the wedding (her hubby was in it), along with Bret and his wife. Bret is a friend, used to be quite a close one, that I had a falling out with over a business deal, and subsequently we don't speak either. He didn't do something he promised to do, I yelled at him a lot and now we don't talk.

Bret's an ameoba.

He wouldn't so much as make eye contact with anyone at our table.

Pathetic.

Dude, be a man and just say what's on your mind! If you want to hit me or say something rude, just do it!

Anyway, back to the Ice Queen. So I manage to catch up with Doug (Ice Queen's hubby) at the bar. We talked for at least a half hour and his wife came over not once, but twice and whispered in his ear.

Then he had to leave.

Then he had an animated conversation with her at his table.

Then we left.

You know the sad thing? For just a moment, I was ready to bury the hatchet with he and the Ice Queen, just so I could hang out with him again.

He so much as said:"Listen man, I don't know what happened, and it's not important. It can't happen again. We need to hang out some more."

However, burying the hatchet is out of the question. Trixie hates her and so do all the others in our group. She's hurtful, inconsiderate and immature.

Here's how I summed it up this morning in an email exchange between Jackson and myself:

Trish and I ran into Doug and Lisa yesterday afternoon at Schnucks, and she bolted past us with a “Hi, how are youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu” and was gone.

I felt bad b/c Doug had this “Hey guys! I’m glad to see you!” look on his face, but was unable to converse with us as she rushed through the door and into the store.

Sad man. Sad.

Why paint this face of civility when clearly you hate my guts? If you want to say something to me, say what’s on your mind like: “I think you’re a conceited prick and I can’t stand you. I resent the fact that my husband still enjoys your company and fear the day he takes inventory in his life and decides he’s got too much of me in stock.”

4 Comments:

At 12:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

" I resent the fact that my husband still enjoys your company and fear the day he takes inventory in his life and decides he’s got too much of me in stock.”

No offense, but if that hasn't happened yet, odds are that it won't happen. She's his WIFE, man.

 
At 1:41 PM, Blogger Nervous said...

I had to go back and read "A chill in the Uncharacteristicly Warm Air" which complements this post nicely (see - I did my homework!) Anyways, it's sad that some things don't change - grudges are held, sides are taken, etc. She reminds me of a couple women I've known - and I find it funny how she was so eager to "run into" you and your wife last time, but this time (with the whispering) its almost like she's not interested in talking to you anymore. Could this be because you and your wife are happy and had only good news to report last time? Could she be some sort of emotional vampire that lives off of the drama and downfalls of others to make herself feel better? Sorry, maybe I'm way off here - it just reminds me a lot of a girl who was like this with her man and her friendship with me - it's like they only keep you around with the fake friendliness if they can somehow use it to their advantage by being a controlling, manipulating she-devil! And I know that defeated look that guys like Doug get - it's so sad, they're so defeated. Umm, okay. Sorry I got a bit off on my own thing but I'd like to say I think I understand!

 
At 1:48 PM, Blogger HemisphereDancer said...

You completely understand it.

You read situations well.

It's just a shame she's a bitch because he is SUCH A COOL guy.

 
At 3:25 PM, Blogger SayUnderpants said...

I feel bad for Doug, too. I also understand that she's his wife and he's obligated to side with her always. It's just a shame that he realized a bit too late what it's done to many of his friendships...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home