My Meandering Mind

A chronicle of the daily minutia that weaves together our daily lives

Monday, June 27, 2005

Big Fire


Big Fire
Originally uploaded by hemispheredancer1.
So I'm driving home on Friday afternoon. I work north of downtown and take Jefferson Ave. to Hwy 44 every afternoon around 4:00. Except this day, Trixie and I were closing on our old house, and had a 4:00 appointment at the title company.

So on Friday, I left the office around 3:15 or so. When I got to the intersection of Jefferson and Olive, I noticed some black smoke.

There are a few industrial areas nearby, and I figured there may be a blaze of tires or something.

I continue southbound on Jefferson, and when I reach Choteau, I realize, OH NO, THIS ISN'T A SIMPLE TIRE FIRE. JESUS H. CHRIST, WHERE IS MY CAMERA??? I'VE NEVER SEEN A FIRE THAT BIG!

So at this point, I'm seriously 200 yards from the largest fire I've ever seen, and the distinct sound of hissing is still fresh in my ears on Monday morning.
HISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
SSSSSSSSSSS
SSSSSSSS

You get the point.

Not only is the fire hissing, it's well over 100 feet tall and exploding every second or two. Not just "pop-pop"...no, I'm talking BOOM! BOOM! Each time, belching fire higher and higher into the air, mushrooming larger each time.

The heat was unbeleiveable. I'm 200 yards from it, and through my rolled down window, it's difficult to look at the fire.

I'm on the scene just as emergency crews are arriving, so it's chaos and my car is trapped between the others clamoring for a better view or just to get the hell out of there.

I decide I have a few minutes, so I try to take some pictures. It's not meant to be. My batteries are dead.

The photo above does this situation no favors. I was much closer and the fire was much bigger.

So, I'm now stuck. I can't take pictures and I can't get out. Fire trucks and emergency vehicles scream around me and come to quick stops in the intersection.

If it's even possible, the fire begins to build and intensify.

Firemen, emergency workers and policemen are swarming like bees and on-lookers are crowding the streets like spectators watching gladiators.

And I have an appointment that I'm not going to make.

I kick back in my car and try to catalog the situation as best I can, hoping to burn (pun fully intended) an image in my mind, so I can recall the tale for years.

BOOM! BOOM! BOOM!

SEARING HEAT AND THE HISSING....THE HISSING...

At this point, all I know is that I'm watching a BIG ASS FIRE, and I have no idea what's burning. All I know is that it's exploding...and quite frequently.

It's then that I see it.

(PLEASE REFER TO THE NEXT POST)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home