My Meandering Mind

A chronicle of the daily minutia that weaves together our daily lives

Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Iraqi Eyes

I know by now everything I'm about to express has been extolled by media pundits worldwide, but I feel I need to share my joy over the successful elections in US liberated Iraq.

For many months now, our President, our soldiers, along with our coalition partners, have been subjected to divisive hatefulness. The world has mocked them, the naysayers have doubted them and the uninformed have disrespected them. I have four words for all of these small people. SHUT THE FUCK UP. There's little chance that my request will do anything to combat the vitriol, but an exercise in democracy that shames our own, should.

For all of you opposing the liberation of Iraq and calling our troops part of the problem (see Ted Kennedy), how can you now justify your commentary? Did you see the lines of Iraqis, miles long? Did you see the men, women and children, casting their ballot with tears in their eyes? Did you see the outward jubilation, the dancing in the streets? These brave citizens, under the threat of certain death, turned out in droves to shape the future of their country. When, Mr. Kennedy, was the last time THIS COUNTRY had voter turnout approaching 70 percent? When was the last time you and I walked for miles to cast our vote? Do we stand for hours, waiting to approach the ballot box? Does exercising our right to vote result in death threats? And in spite of the abscence of these obstacles, we can't muster voter turnout greater then 50 percent. Pathetic.

Do you remember where you were when Bagdad fell? I sure do. I stood watching men and women who were twelve hours earlier oppressed and fearing for their lives, smack with their shoes, a statue of the oppressor. I was nearly brought to tears. Did you see newly liberated Iraqis drag the head of Saddam's statue through the streets? Would any of this have been possible without the efforts of the coalition forces? Or, should we have continued failed diplomatic efforts, and let Saddam continue to murder his citizens (there are WMD's. If not, how did he gas the Kurds with Sarin and VX?), violate UN sanctions and steal billions of dollars that were given to Iraq to feed its people? Are you too cynical to absorb this or too proud of your convictions to admit you were wrong?

The elections on Sunday were an event I'll never forget. These proud men and women now control their own destiny. And our brave soldiers made that possible.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home