My Meandering Mind

A chronicle of the daily minutia that weaves together our daily lives

Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Irony




So, I'm listening to a new CD, The Living Things, the other day. Apparently, they're from St. Louis. I've never heard of them, but that's not my point.

Anyway, good stuff. You should go buy the CD.

The second song is a tirade about the government, their oppressive and invasive nature, the evil corporate empires, etc.

A passage:

I GOT A LETTER FROM THE TAXMAN, I OWE / I GOT A MESSAGE FROM THE PRESIDENT, I OWE / ..... /..../ AND THEY DON'T KNOW RIGHT FROM WRONG, BUT THEY'LL BRING YOU ALONG / LET'S GO / C'MON, C'MON, C'MON / I SAID THE FBI, THE CIA, THE FDA, THE NSA, OUR HMO'S, OUR PPO'S, THE CEO'S AND THE USA / WE ALL GOT TO LAY LOW, THEY GOT YOU UNDER CONTROL...

So, as I'm listening to the CD, and rather rocking and enjoying it, I finish reading the liner notes and flip the case over to read the back side

where I see

The FBI Anti-Piracy Warning

So, is the message that it's OK to denounce the government, as long as it protects your artistic creation and paint corporations as faceless, evil money grabbing swines, just as long as your checks are being sent on time?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home