My Meandering Mind

A chronicle of the daily minutia that weaves together our daily lives

Thursday, September 01, 2005

Disasters Are Regressive Events



It's amazing how quickly we as a society can revert to primal thoughts and actions.

Quite honestly, I can't blame the looters.

If I were chest deep in the muck, or in any anarchistic situation anywhere else, you can damn sure bet there are a few things I would be stealing:

1. A gun - Beleive me, you're better off with one.
2. Cash from cash registers - In a crisis situation, cash = power.
3. Bottled drinks - For consumption and bartering.
4. Flashlights - Three for me, and the rest for bartering.
5. Granola Bars - They're small, sealed and portable.
6. Cigarette lighters - Don't get wet like matches and can be used to start fires for warmth or cooking.
7. Cigarettes- For bartering.
8. Medicine, especially Tylenol or Advil - For personal use and especially for bartering.


One question that comes to mind is:

With no radio or television, and everyone stranded in attics and on roofs throughout the city, how is word spreading that evacuations are taking place at the Superdome? If they're stranded five miles from there, and the only navigable means is a boat, how are these people staying informed of developments?

How about you? I only gave my list about 2 minutes of thought, which is probably a pretty realistic timeframe. What would you steal if it were you?

2 Comments:

At 1:10 PM, Blogger SayUnderpants said...

To answer your question about how stranded people are learning about evacuations:

They're not.

With rescue operations hampered by further bad weather, angry mobs, looters, impassable areas, and a general lack of any real help getting there quickly, one must just hope that the many many many stranded people have enough supplies to last them until rescue.

It's a sickening thought that most likely the leading cause of death from this hurricane and it's aftermath will be dehydration...

 
At 6:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

how does cash = power? I'm stranded at the superdome and I have some bottled water. do you honestly think that cash is going to buy the water? If I am stranded how is cash going to help me? the only thing worth anything in an anarchist situation is going to be the things I need to live. food, water, shelter and a gun (for safety). the money might work as some dry kindling for a fire. -meredith-

 

Post a Comment

<< Home